Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sewing Creation

I had the urge to sew something last week and the thought came into my head that I should make a dress for Katelyn. I haven't sewn a garment since high school, but thought I would give it a go. Went to the fabric store and looked through the patterns and came upon an Very Easy pattern, which I thought was really cute. Looked through the somewhat limited selection of material and settled on this ultra cute, pink paisley cotton. I got to sewing that day for a couple of hours and then next day a couple of hours and then some hand sewing and this is what came out of those hours.

It is a size two and quite big on her. It should be taken in on the sides but after all the work I did, I'd rather just pin it. And it is super long on her, but I think next year it will fit just right. I was so proud of myself for actually figuring out the pattern instructions and getting everything right. It may not be perfect, but I did it to the best of my ability. What more could I ask for? Not bad for $23. Funny how it's more to sew your own than to buy them. I probably wouldn't have paid $23 for a dress like this in the store, just because I'm cheap, but it was fun to make it myself.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Amanda...that dress is so cute! I love the fabric; that was a very good choice. Now that you've done one, you can change it up a bit with a different fabric, and the second one will be cheaper, 'cause you don't have to buy the pattern again. the second one could be made short and your daughter could still wear it this summer. Good job!!!