Friday, February 15, 2008

Happy Belated Valentines Day


I was meaning to post something yesterday but didn't get around to it.
I hope everyone had a good Valentine's day with their loved ones. I worked at school and saw so many girls with flowers, it was unreal. I don't remember at GVC if many people got flowers on Valentine's day delivered to school, except if you had a serious boyfriend I guess. At the end of the day there was a long list read out of people needing to come and pick up their flowers. Dozens of roses, single roses, arrangements. Here's a funny story that I witnessed. I passed a 9th grade girl standing outside the room I went to, talking to her friend. Her boyfriend and her exchanged gifts. She gave him this big bag of something and she got this small bag of small carnations. She turned to her friend and asked what they were. Carnations. "Well, they're not roses!" My mouth dropped open at the comment. How ungrateful! Then she said he was getting her a box of chocolates too. My face would have been a deep red if a boy had ever brought me flowers in school. I just had to laugh at her.

So for my valentine's, I didn't know if Jason was going to do anything. We don't go all out in excess but we do like the excuse to go out for a nice meal. But I was presently surprised to see a rose in the window when I came home and there was a card with a heartfelt penned inscription that brought tears to my eyes. Jason relayed this story to me about what he say at the local drug store. He and another man were looking at cards. 4 other men came around and crowded around them to also look for at cards. One of them said, "How come you don't see women in here?""Women have this done weeks in advance." "I had to come over here because every other place was sold out." One man grabs a random valentine card and goes to the counter. The lady behind the till says, "Kind of waited till the last minute.""Last minute? This is early. You guys are open till six."

We had made plans the day before with friends to go out for mexican before they dropped Jason off at his weekend mens retreat in town. We were lucky we found a table when we did because it was packed. So they dropped me off and I had a night to myself in front of the tube and a bed to myself. This weekend is kind of a breather for me. I love Jason but sometimes I just need some me time at home to do whatever I want. So tonight, I'm going for supper and a movie with a friend who's husband is helping at the mens retreat for the weekend.

I hope everyone felt loved yesterday and remembered what life is really about! And to my friend Faith, I hope Ron knocked your socks off since you were looking so forward to your one day a year of love.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Glad you guys had fun and that Jason suprised you with the rose. I had to chuckle at your friend and her "one day of love" lol.

Christine said...

Sorry, but I have to agree with the girl at the school about carnations. I am not a huge fan either. Just ask Gina how much I like them! Glad you had a nice Valentine's Day!