Yep, I'm home, semi-alone, a hunting widow as I've been told. Tis the season for big game hunters to be in the hills, doing things that men do, providing for the fam. Jason left yesterday with our friend, John Willert, to ride into the hills and find the prized wild game called elk. Or deer, whatever jumps out at them. It was kind of a late start for the boys. Jason had to finish a job in the morning, only to find that he needed to replace his alternator on the pick-up. With all the money we've stuck into that thing, it should pretty much be a new engine with everything we've replaced. He still had to hook up the trailer, gather up our ponies and drive into his coveted "hills". John had the job of pulling a small camper they borrowed from a friend. No tent camping for them in bear country, good thing. So, we will have to wait and see what the outcome of this trip is for both of them.
What am I keeping myself busy with? Well, yesterday, I took Katelyn to a little photoshoot that I signed up for. $20 buck got me a time slot and an 8x10. There were quite a few people that had also signed up and the photographer was behind schedule. There were some uncooperative children when I got there and were still being photographed as I waited for the next 1/2 hour. He had a little antique backdrop with baskets, trunks and the like to give it an antique feel. He also brought older looking clothes you could use or you could bring your own. I opted for a cute outfit a friend had bought. Having waited and watched how some parents have to bribe their kids to smile, I was hoping for a quick and happy girl. She delivered. We had to prop her up in a suitcase with blankets and the 5 month old smile fest started. He snapped and I made sounds, faces and shook her toys. I didn't care how stupid I looked, she was doing great and getting some good smiles. We were probably done in 10 minutes which was a breeze compared to some of the others that were ahead of us. I'll get to see the outcome of the shots on the 12th. The prices on picture packages are outrages! I'll claim my 8x10 and make my own copies.
Last night, Jason's dad stayed over since he was working on texturing a house Jason has been working on all year. Much to my surprise and delight, our friends Jon and Sheila and their son Micah came over and brought pizza for supper. I was happy to have them since it would mean more people to talk to and it would be so awkward for me and Bruce. That was an answer to prayer.
This morning there was a book sale at the local library. Stuff a bag for $1! All I really wanted were some books for Katelyn. I haven't been reading to her like I should be, and thought I should check it out. I was there pretty close to opening time and the small room was packed! Good thing I had put Katelyn in the front carrier because there would have been no room in the car carrier. I got quite a few hard books and books for when she's older. I even found some bible story books, much to my surprise. A lot of them are older and some have scribbles in them, but for a buck you can't go wrong. I also went downstairs where they have a sale on books every first saturday of the month. There were a lot of books down there for 25, 50 cents or $1. So I spent another 80 cents and got a few more for K. $1.80 not bad for a dozen books.
Today could be one of the last nice days that we have in a while. The rumor is tomorrow is supposed to be bad, so I should get out and enjoy the weather. My garden needs to be cleaned out since we've had frost and everything is pretty much done. I picked another bowl of tomatoes and the rest are hitting the garbage since they've had frost and they were all still green. I guess I should hit my sewing machine, since I have projects still sitting there. I've been busy canning tomato soup and apple pie filling for tarts and turnovers. I made one tray of tarts and left them out. I caught myself eating them all in a couple of days. They are pretty close to what my grandma used to make, but somehow nothing can ever match how grandma made it.
Since tonight could be a nice night, I may have to have a fire in the backyard. Even if it's by myself, something about a fire on a cool night under a blanket with some hot chocolate sounds awfully cozy.
Side note: I was pleasantly surprised the other day when Jason called me and said that I had won a smoker at a grand opening of a painter store in Cody. Sherwin Williams is now open in Cody and had a contractors grand opening one night, with a catered dinner. So of course we went and enterd a bunch of drawings. This is quite a shock for me, because I NEVER win anything. So now we've got this nice smoker to try out. Have to scour the internet and food network to get some ideas before the snow flies. Although, I grill year round. Yes, I am the griller of the family.
Saturday, October 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I love your style of writing. It is so entertaining and I feel as if I'm there with you. I laughed so hard at the part about my dad coming and you were saved by your friends coming to dinner. Too funny.
I also love how you can soup. You should teach me!
Post a Comment